I know i had been warned this software is still beta and so on. But i thought i would give it a try with 26 days more to wait. So here is my update story and this is what i did to update my gutsy install on my Dell Vostro 1500 to hardy
1. Press Alt+F2 and enter update-manager –devel-release
2. Click on the button for upgrade on my system the update manager needed to upgrade about 1200 packages.
3. If you have any custom package sources they will get disabled by the update manager the ubuntu sources will be updated correctly
4. wait and be patient
5. the system will reboot when everything is finished here is where my problems started after the reboot my system was still using the old kernel 2.6.22 the new 2.6.24-12-generic would not boot
6. So i rebooted into the 2.6.24-12-386 kernel which booted with no sound and no wireless
7. Then i found out that during the update the module package was not installed so i installed it with a : aptitude install linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-12-generic
8. Then i rebooted again and this time i could boot the 2.6.24-12-generic kernel happy day wireless was up and running but still no sound
9. Sound was a bit tricky because i didn’t really no where to look what was going wrong pulseaudio or alsa
10. Thanks to the ubuntu forum for some help some other users where having the same problems in this thread
11. The problem having no sound where resolved with the following commands:
aptitude remove linux-image-2.6.24-12-386
update-initramfs -k 2.6.24-12-generic -c
12. Thats it reboot and enjoy your sound and have fun with hardy. But remember before you complain about crashes this software is still beta.